Station #1
204 North Center Street
E-1, E-3, T-1, R-1, SQ-1
Station #2
148 Sanders Creek Pkwy
E-2, E-4, T-2, R-2, SQ-2
Welcome to our Website
Acting Fire Chief
Chris Shields

Paul Knierman                                            
Picture Gallery
Apparatus Gallery
2017 Call Volume

Call Volume History

Contact Information
East Syracuse Fire Department
204 North Center Street
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Non-Emergency: 315-437-3541 ext. 4
Emergency: 911
About Us

    The East Syracuse Fire Department is an all volunteer fire department protecting the Village of East Syracuse and the Northern part of the Town of Dewitt. We are located in Onondaga County, just minutes from Syracuse, New York.


    In the fall of 1887 a group of residents of the Village of East Syracuse organized a fund drive for the purpose of forming a volunteer fire department. In May of 1888, the department's first three companies were formed consisting of the AD Ellis Engine Co., the Victory Hook & Ladder Co., and the JL Kyne Hose Co. There were thirty five founding members.

    Apparatus was a horse drawn hook and ladder truck, a hand drawn / hand operated pumper, and a hand drawn hose cart. These were housed in a rented building on East Manlius Street just north of the railroad.

    In 1893 an Engine house was erected on Park Street, the building became the Municipal Building, and the street was later changed to Center Street. The formation of the CC Bagg Hose Company also occurred.

    In 1959, a survey conducted lead to the construction of another fire station closer to the Industrial Park area of East Syracuse. This caused the addition of a Station 2 and construction was completed in June of 1960.

    Some of the apparatus occupying these facilities in the years ahead were a 1952 American LaFrance pumper, a 1958 Mack Quad, a 1959 American LaFrance 100' Aerial, and a 1965 Sanford tanker / pumper.

    In addition to the number of calls for service and apparatus at both stations, the membership reached its capacity of 120 men.

Protection District / Organizational Structure

    In 2001, Station #1 began a complete renovation including additional apparatus bays, office space, and bunk-in accommodations.

    On the morning of February 3rd, 2007, Station #2 located at Kinne Street & Route 298 was closed, and a new facility on Sanders Creek Parkway was open.

    Station #1 houses two engines, a 95' aerial platform truck, a heavy rescue, and a squad truck used primarily for EMS calls.

    Station #2 houses two engines, a 100' aerial ladder truck, a heavy rescue, and a squad truck used primarily for EMS calls. Station #2 also houses the departments confined space rescue trailer.

    The department responds to 1,000+ alarms annually covering an estimated eight square mile district. The protection area entails the Village of East Syracuse; Erie Blvd between Bridge Street and Thompson Road; follows the Syracuse City line to the West; North to the Town of Salina line, to the airport / Taft Road and East to the DeWitt town line. The department also protects  portions of the New York State Thruway and Routes 690 and 481.

    Under the name of the East Syracuse Fire Department, two organizations actually function simultaneously. The Village of East Syracuse Volunteer Fire Department and the East Syracuse Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.

    The Village of East Syracuse Volunteer Fire Department managed by the Chief, Assistant Chiefs, and fire line officers, functions as the body that responds to all emergencies and provides service within the protection district. The department members annually elect a Chief,1st Assistant Chief, 2nd Assistant Chief, 2 Captains, and 4 Lieutenants.

    The East Syracuse Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. which is managed by the President, Vice President, and Board of Directors was created as a community organization in support of the Village of East Syracuse Volunteer Fire Department and handles non-firematic activities.